Friday, March 7, 2014

Evaluation - Q7) In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

How I have used forms and conventions

Masthead-
One of the main conventions of a magazine is the masthead. This is a very important feature of a magazine as it is the brand recognition for the product which is to be remembered and recognized by many. The masthead that I have created challenges the usual convention as it is set out differently than the generic magazine masthead. As you can see, the name of my magazine is created in a way that visually looks like an acrostic. The letters 'VIP' are placed down the side to emphasize the importance of the pop genre, the magazine and the readers. The shape of the masthead is also different to the usual type of masthead as it has been put into a circle shaped boarder. I did this as it separates the masthead from the rest of the magazine which highlights it and again, makes it stand out from other magazines.

Main Image-
Another convention is a main image on the front page of the magazine. This usually plays a big part when attracting the readers as, young audiences especially, tend to decide on a magazine due to the cover and who is featured on it. The mise-en-scene is different and challenges the usual conventions of a main image as it is set outside. Most pop magazines have images which are taken in a studio to use on their front cover, where as I decided to do this differently for my own product to make it different from others. Setting the main image outside instead of inside a studio helps my magazine to stand out from others on the shelf as it does not follow the usual conventions.

Sell Lines-
I have used the typical convention of sell lines on my magazine cover as I feel that they are an important and traditional way of attracting the audience to get them to buy the product. I feel that sell lines are very effective and this is the reason why I have many of them on the cover of my magazine. The sell lines that I have created do not challenge the usual conventions as they are quite similar in a sense that they portray small bits of information about what is inside of the magazine. However, I have used many images to support these sell lines as this also helps to attract the audience as images are more appealing to the eye than just writing. Therefore, my magazine is also different to others for the amount of images used, instead of just using one or two, I have used many to go along side the sell lines. This also helps my product to stand out on the shelf compared to other stereotypical magazines.

Layering-
Many pop magazines consist of lots of layering on the cover of their magazine, whereas, my magazine includes less of it. I decided to create my magazine so that everything is in sections and columns as it makes everything on the page stand out instead of being sunk into the background with the rest of the main conventions. This makes my magazine different to many as all of the stories are clear and you can easily see each feature that is being portrayed which contrasts with the idea of lots of layering covering the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment