Sunday, November 3, 2013

Research and Planning - Music Genre

I have decided to do my music magazine on the pop genre. I have chosen to do it on this type of music as I think it has a wider range to it and is one of the biggest genres with many different artists within it. I have done some research into pop music on the internet to widen my knowledge on the genre so I know what type of things I should put into my magazine and what kind of audience my magazine will appeal to.

Pop Music

I have found that the definition of pop music is very flexible as the music known as pop is constantly changing and expanding. It is usually easiest to identify pop music as the music that is highest in the top 40 charts at each moment in time. Over the past 50 years, pop music has been one of the most successful musical styles but it has been continually changing, however, there are consistent patterns identifying this genre.

Audience

 
Since the 1950s pop music has been known to be the genre of music accessible to the widest audience. This means that it sells the most copies, is played most often on the radio and sells the most concert tickets. Since 1995 pop music has been dominated by sounds that are still rooted in basic elements of rock'n'roll.

Pop music and Song structure

The basic form for pop music is usually the basic verses and repeated chorus. The basic song is usually between 2 1/2 and 5 1/2 minutes long. Like other forms that attract a mass audience, pop music continues to be a melting point that borrows elements and ideas from a wide range of musical styles. For example, r&b, country and disco. 

No comments:

Post a Comment